Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Voyage of the Ice Treader

Ice storm last night; the wind literally throwing ice at our front door most of the early evening. Kara was nervous, listening to the scraping and howling outside her window. When Lynn-nore opened the door around 10:30pm, you could see a ring of ice formations in which a rough exterior met an absolutely flat interior where it was molded against the door. This morning, I could have shoveled the snow drift around the car (it came up to my knee), but there was no time. Put it in 4-wheel-drive and pull out into the street.

Speaking of Kara, she and I started on Voyage of the Dawn Treader last night. She has had little problem integrating books without pictures, and had me read The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe twice! I love the way Dawn Treader begins, with the lifelike painting of the boat that eventually becomes a real opening into Narnia. I love the suggestive impossibility that a nasty, dare I say "Muggle" family, owns a painting of a Narnian ship because someone gave it to them. Who in England painted a Narnian ship? Who gave them that picture? Finally, I love the way Lewis describes the process of the painting coming to life, and that image of the children standing on the frame over the sea and finally getting swept up by a "roller." Kara couldn't bear the thought of stopping!

No comments: