Thursday, March 24, 2005

Overheard Thursday

Lynn-nore's Mom had surgery this morning. I haven't heard any updates regarding her status or how her surgery went. Kara's letter for today was "W", and so she took in a train whistle that Dad bought for her ages ago at a Cracker Barrel. I meant to post a photo or two of Kara's new bedroom last night. Lynn-nore is finally over her cold, but I think I must have a touch of it, because I've been mentally shot all week. This morning has been taken up listening to jazz.

Jazz has been the genre of choice for the last few months here. Lynn-nore likes jazz. Classical music, she says, makes her think math, which annoys rather than relaxes. Jazz doesn't induce the same effect. Perhaps it is because of the innate syncopation and emphasis on improvisation. Thus, it is a music that can be played around the house. I also like jazz, but haven't yet figured out how to listen to it. For example, I'm just now beginning to understand that I'm not as fond of New Orleans or Ragtime as California or Dixieland Jazz. I love Dixieland played live. When we were in Prague, a dixieland ensemble camped out in the middle of the great bridge there and drew a crowd for for the day. (Another reason why Prague is the city at the end of the universe.) Anyway, closing this out. For anyone with streaming audio, I recommend MSN Radio's Jazz Essentials station.

2 comments:

tek1024 said...

To Lynn-nore: is that to say, all classical, or just the "classic" (read: Mozart) classical?

I've yet to find any good jazz, for the same reason: now that I know that Bach is the bees' knees (did I just say that?) and that X, Y, and Z recordings of A, B, and C are the best, I realize I have no knowledge of jazz except what I've tried to extrapolate from Gershwin.

Despite the fact that MSN is--well, you know--I may have to indulge in a little Jazz Essentials. <G>

tchittom said...

Give me Bach's Goldberg Variations and I'm good most of the time.