Friday, April 01, 2005

Sleeping the big sleep

I was so tired last night, that I went to bed at 9:30 and slept soundly until 6:30 this morning. 9.5 hours of sleep; I can't remember the last time I had much more than 6. Of course, this means that I didn't finish the review last night.

Frankly, it is becoming very difficult for me to write at night. After Kara is in bed, I'm pretty much ready to lay down myself. That's the way it has been for over a month now, and finally, last night, I just gave up and said, "That's it, I'm going to bed." I hope this isn't a trend. It isn't like I can just write in the mornings - the best time of the day. More thought will have to go into this. The review will be done shortly, anyway.

Listening to Ella Fitzgerald on the way in to work this morning. Her voice is so smooth and light; really amazing. The disc I have is a collection of recordings she did of the best songs by American composers. It makes you wonder if *any* songs in the latter-quarter of the 20th century are classics in any sense of the word, or just pop-junk. Bob Dylan and the Beatles are about the only sources I can think of for true time-surviving work. What do you think?

Another goal for the weekend: send out some job applications.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, as always, de gustibus non disputandum, but I have to say, I've always found both Dylan and the Beatles overrated. That's not to say I dislike either, but I think that what has staying power a hundred, five hundred years from now will suprize us all. J.S. Bach was almost unknown after his death until Felix Mendelssohn revived his works. Et cetera.