Tuesday, April 26, 2005
What comes after Z !
So Kara says to me yesterday as we are sitting at the kitchen table and "doing scrapbooking" (her words for the times when I sit and work on some scrapbooking and she cuts paper with fancy scissors and uses stickers and plays with my square hole-punch and chats with Mommy) "I don't want to go back to school tomorrow. I want another stay-at-home day." To which I say, "But Sweetie, you need to go back to school to see what Mrs. Kemmer is going to teach you about this week." To which she replies, "I don't want to." To which I reply, taking a different tactic, "But don't you want to see your friends, Katie, and Andrew, and Josiah will all be there?" Again she declines. We continue this conversation for a few more moments without gaining any real ground. So, a few minutes go by and she pipes up with another question "Mama, why do I have to go back to school?" And I say, becoming very pragmatic about the whole thing, "Because it's a school day." And she says, truly puzzled, "But, Mama, why do I have to go back, we already finished the letter 'Z'." And she's right! The last week before school vacation they finished up the alphabet, clearly summing up all that a "4 1/2 girl" needs to know!! I tried my best to explain that there might be more that Mrs. Kemmer could teach them about other things, and we let it go. A few hours later at dinner we revisited this conversation. Kara jumps in with a brand new thought. "I know what we can learn now," she says. She thinks for a moment and I can see her mouthing the alphabet song as she's thinking. She goes through it twice and then announces, "We can learn about 'now I know my ABC's'." For that's what comes after Z!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I got a hearty laugh out of that one! <VBG>
Post a Comment