Thursday, April 07, 2005

on baptizing infants

Last night, I had the opportunity to attend a lecture delivered by Dr. Anthony Lane, Professor of Historical Theology at the London School of Theology. His topic was, "Should we Baptize Babies? A Study of Early Church Practices?"

The substance of his talk boiled down to two main points:

  • The New Testament does not separate the experience of justification and the act of baptism in any way. Indeed, so closely intertwined are these concepts that they sometimes refer to someone's salvation as their "baptism" and vice versa, without even a tip of the hat to the waiting and watching for "internalization" of religious faith with such as we are familiar.
  • The best and earliest resources that we have on the subject of baptism suggest that variety was the name of the game. Some families/churches/geographical regions baptized their infants, others waited until their children were 8 days, 3 years, teens. young adults or even urged (in the context where baptism began to be understood more along Roman Catholic lines) their children & others to wait until a point as near death as possible. What was important was baptism. The age of the baptizee, evidences of regeneration, or other factors could be emphasized or deemphasized - no one really cared one way or the other.
It should also be noted that such variety existed not in a time like ours, in which religious practice is in general being flattened and emptied of all value. This variety existed when baptism is an incredibly important issue.

After the lecture, Lynn-nore, Joanna and I sat around in the living room and discussed it for over an hour. All three of us agree both that Kara displays the outward signs of a regeneration, and that no church we're aware of would either baptize her or allow her to take communion. As a result, every door of the Christian faith has been open to her, every question answered until now, and the only reason is tradition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would usher a caveat on this topic. First, in the nt baptism always FOLLOWS a profession of being justified. In this sense, it is not that the two events are one at all. As far as the early church outside the nt, I would not consider that normative.

Second, I was baptized at 7 and I remember the event clearly. I remember praying to be saved and then a discussion with the pastor and being baptized. I have had family members that were younger and were baptized.

Third, there is no discussion of children and baptism in the nt. So draw your inferences carefully. If you believe Kara is ready to be baptized approach your pastor and let him assess the ordinance policy in light of scripture and the candidate - rather than a general feeling that preschoolers are not fully capable of such a profession.

I do not believe that the act of obedience involved in baptism bestows any further grace upon her so if her baptism is delayed in order for her mental abilities to match her spiritual condition - is there a harm involved?

John