Wow, I haven't posted on this for almost a week- what's with that? Well, my family. We had a great week together! I took Wednesday off, and we spent the whole day at the beach, joined at lunchtime by SWR & QE. Kara and I lathered on so much sunblock that, despite being in it for 7 hours or so, neither of us burnt (or, in my case, colored) at all! It is a good thing we had so much rain over the last few days, or we would have been out in it again!
As it is, rain allowed time for Lynn-nore to continue making progress in her efforts to change our 2bdrm into room enough for 3. Caleb is only getting larger, 2lbs now, and he's going to demand some space when he arrives! A few months ago, she fussed and measured everything out, and came up with a design that not only made room but improved every room in the process. This last weekend, the bedroom and the basement received the lion's share of attention. I'm quite blessed to have such an industrious and thrifty wife (and one who overlooks my protestations about carrying things to the basement at 9pm on a Sunday evening.)
Kara is preparing for something of another sort. A week from today, the Boston Lyric Opera is putting on a 1-hour presentation of Mozart's Magic Flute (De Zauberflöte) designed especially for children. (Mozart is Kara's favorite.) The cost is extremely low for any cultural event: $15 adults, $10 children (where local church performances run $20 for adults!) The opportunity is too great not to go, even if the material would be better appreciated a few years from now, and even if money is already tight. Some things have to be done for the sake of life. Thus, I've been playing the story and music for Kara over the last week. My hope is that if she can recognize the music and knows the general direction of the story that it will make sitting through the performance that much easier. I wasn't sure how effective my passive exposure plan was going until she climbs out from one of her "houses" yesterday and says, "Daddy, is this still the Magic Flute?"
As for me, I have a 1200-word review due by May 1 for Blackwell: Karl Busch's The Great Passion: An Introduction to Karl Barth's Theology (Eerdman's 2004). I'm halfway through the book itself so reading time is paramount over the next few days. But, if you want to know where my brain is increasingly over the next few days, there you go.
Otherwise, I had a chance yesterday to teach James 4:1-10, and, surprise surprise, there is a triune structure to it, bookcased in with an intro and conclusion which presuppose prayer. Despite my clumsiness, I really knew the Spirit was with me as the class was going. It is a good thing to teach the Scripture - not any human performance, but God's effective opportunity.
Monday, April 25, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment