Here are a few things I would like to be doing. Marking a particularly good passage of hard-won theology with a green highlighter while sitting anonymous in a Starbucks. Sitting at my laptop, beginning to hammer out one of my overdue book reviews. Talking to my wife without interruption. I would like to be flipping vocabulary cards in Greek or German. I would like to be writing a new post to my blog. I would like to be updating my resume. I would like to be taking the first step toward studying for the GRE. I would like to be working through a problem in the division of fractions with unequal numerators. I would like to be eating in a European restaurant. I would like to be listening to wind blow through comfortable, summer leaves. I would like to be practicing scales on my guitar. I would like to be discussing a good movie with a friend. I would like to be cataloguing my library. I would like to be conquering the paper tiger. I would like to be going through my financial life with zest until every penny is put in place. I would like to be taking a long walk which will cleanse my nose and eyes with nature and consummate in a shower after which I will not comb or dry my hair. I would like to be in town. I would like to be sitting in front of a painting in the MFA, undisturbed until I am ready to leave. I would like to be taking notes on a fascinating lecture at Harvard. I would like to be sitting in the balcony of a golden room, well-dressed and accompanied by my wife, listening in anticipation as a symphony orchestra tunes to a background of murmuring and seat-taking. I would like to be sliding down one of those gigantic water park slides with my daughter. Howabout throwing frisbee on the beach with SWR? I would like to be opening a German Riesling. I would like to be praying in a 19th century church. I would like to be carefully swallowing another chapter of Heidegger. I would like to be listening to someone tell me about themselves. I would like to be giving German beer another go at a Bayern fest. I would like to finally get beyond where I am now. I would like to be holding my infant son. I would like to be swimming with my daughter. I would like to be eating at a favorite restaurant with my wife. I would like to be finally getting to a project. I would like to be eating grilled burgers at the local fair. Yet, I am working. Can someone sue for loss of life? Loss of time? Do we receive what we give up? Is this what Marx means by alienation? I will protest and blog something… (Why not post a list of what you'd like to be doing.)
Friday, August 26, 2005
a few things
Here are a few things I would like to be doing. Marking a particularly good passage of hard-won theology with a green highlighter while sitting anonymous in a Starbucks. Sitting at my laptop, beginning to hammer out one of my overdue book reviews. Talking to my wife without interruption. I would like to be flipping vocabulary cards in Greek or German. I would like to be writing a new post to my blog. I would like to be updating my resume. I would like to be taking the first step toward studying for the GRE. I would like to be working through a problem in the division of fractions with unequal numerators. I would like to be eating in a European restaurant. I would like to be listening to wind blow through comfortable, summer leaves. I would like to be practicing scales on my guitar. I would like to be discussing a good movie with a friend. I would like to be cataloguing my library. I would like to be conquering the paper tiger. I would like to be going through my financial life with zest until every penny is put in place. I would like to be taking a long walk which will cleanse my nose and eyes with nature and consummate in a shower after which I will not comb or dry my hair. I would like to be in town. I would like to be sitting in front of a painting in the MFA, undisturbed until I am ready to leave. I would like to be taking notes on a fascinating lecture at Harvard. I would like to be sitting in the balcony of a golden room, well-dressed and accompanied by my wife, listening in anticipation as a symphony orchestra tunes to a background of murmuring and seat-taking. I would like to be sliding down one of those gigantic water park slides with my daughter. Howabout throwing frisbee on the beach with SWR? I would like to be opening a German Riesling. I would like to be praying in a 19th century church. I would like to be carefully swallowing another chapter of Heidegger. I would like to be listening to someone tell me about themselves. I would like to be giving German beer another go at a Bayern fest. I would like to finally get beyond where I am now. I would like to be holding my infant son. I would like to be swimming with my daughter. I would like to be eating at a favorite restaurant with my wife. I would like to be finally getting to a project. I would like to be eating grilled burgers at the local fair. Yet, I am working. Can someone sue for loss of life? Loss of time? Do we receive what we give up? Is this what Marx means by alienation? I will protest and blog something… (Why not post a list of what you'd like to be doing.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I would like to sleep late without interuptions. I would like to go swimming with Jacob and connor without worrying about them. i would like to go shopping and everything I try on be too big. I would like to linger over a nice quiet dinner at any resturant with my husband. I would like for my children to always stay little. I would like to visit all the art museums I have ever dreamed of and stay as long as I want. I would like to spend all day with Thom, Lynn-nore, Kara and Caleb. I would like to lay on a beach with my husband and soak up the sun. i would like for my parents to live closer. I would like to never be sick again. but wait the cries of a baby in the background.....oh well!!!!
Post a Comment