Monday, June 20, 2005

The Truck and the Guitar: A Ballad

Its face was all of cedar-brown
Expensive, tuned and bright
Rosewood black its fretted-neck
Unfortunate its plight.

Branded "Fender" on it stock
Brilliant was its tone
It went to worship often
But then its days were done

    Now what is that we're dragging?
    What has raised us up?
    What's that shredded, twisted thing
    That's stuck beneath the truck?
One afternoon I set it by
My Toyota, bold and red
And when I shoved it in reverse
The mighty truck obeyed
    Now what is that we're dragging?
    What has raised us up?
    What's that shredded, twisted thing
    That's stuck beneath the truck?
Forgotten was that Fender
I'm glad it cannot feel
Its body crushed to splinters
Under the driver's wheel

    Now what is that we're dragging?
    What has raised us up?
    What's that shredded, twisted thing
    That's stuck beneath the truck?
But there's no need for sadness
My church's charity
Over the weeks collected
Money for the need

My wife was sharp, my daughter loud
She pointed to a lute
Martin guitars were on sale
She's pregnant and she's cute!

    Now that thing I was dragging
    Raised up a better brand
    The dead was called a Fender
    Now Martin's in my hand
And so this tale's redemptive
Permit me to admit
What died under a knobby wheel
Came back the better fit
    Now what is that we're dragging?
    What has raised us up?
    What's that shredded, twisted thing
    That's stuck beneath the truck?
(alternate secular ending)

So if you have a guitar
That always sounds accursed
Casually leave it by your truck
And put it in reverse!

      2 comments:

      Anonymous said...

      A STAR is born. Nashville watch out here he comes.

      Love Dad

      tek1024 said...

      I haven't laughed that hard so unexpectedly in weeks :-D