Friday, June 03, 2005

Feelin' Hot Hot Hot

To put it bluntly: my new cubicle space is swelteringly HOT! We are right over a boiler pipe, and far from any sort of air conditioning vent. The air simply does not move! The company would make a fortune storing the Dead Sea Scrolls or other ephemera in a side-office or abandoned meeting room.

Prayer meeting last night was a welcome reprieve from the recent unpleasantness. I took five or six prayer request cards from the chapel at the Sem and passed them out beforehand. Sometimes, stressed and anxious about my own troubles, I would go up to the chapel and devote 20 minutes or so to prayer for hand-written requests like these. Doing so would always get the focus off myself and stir up compassion and a desire to see God bless others - a healthy change! My hope was that the same dynamic would operate last night. At first I wasn't so sure. This person was struggling in their marriage, that person for continence, another for a lonely and depressed son. Slowly, though, these needs lifted us out of our solipstic condition and reminded us of our duty ... "and the second is like unto it, that you should love your neighbor as yourself."

Lord have mercy.
Christ have mercy.
Lord have mercy.

1 comment:

tchittom said...

He did have mercy! A half-hour after I posted this, air conditioning showed up (to the cheers of local cube-dwellers!)

"The Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes."