Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Living more on Sea than Land

We are living more in sea than land; the rain pounding us for days and days under grey skies. Indoor spaces are dens where light stays in its orange spectrum and corners are rounded off and dark. When the rain stops, there are so many sounds you just listen. Talk is forbidden. Creation gurgles, whines, whistles, putters, flows, sighs, drips and whirls; what can anyone possibly add?

I saw the ocean myself, like a piece of beaten tin smashed and discarded, nearly up over the road. A few tied dinghys here and there were stretching bold and tall. Cars crept along, their headlights like faded advertizing. Careful! some animal power might just wake up and sweep up the road, houses, a Dunkin Doughnuts, that rain slicker'd dog-walker, all of us together down into its greedy, open throat.

Reading: Boethius The Consolation of Philosophy
Hearing: John Coltrane "A Love Supreme"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thom,
Very nice imagery. I like your prose. Dare I say that you are a much better wordsmith than ever Wes thought he was. What ever happened to him? He had a great sense of selfworth. Do you know if he went on to accomplish the things he thought he would?

Is there consolation in philosophy?

tchittom said...

He picked up a brush and has become a very gifted painter. He married his childhood sweetheart. They had a little boy (Logan, now 3), and are still in Tenn. I also glorify God in saying that the Spirit finally opened his eyes to see the uncreated beauty of the gospel!

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful. I didn't peg him for giving in to that impulse, but nothing is impossible with God...look at me. I'm glad he is a brother.

You never did tell me if there is any consolation in philosophy. I ask because it seems that we humans tend ever more towards complexity. (This falls in with your earlier statements.) The Gospel, however, seems to become more and more simple to me. This is in terms of God's way of working becoming clearer and less mystifying. Also, the dynamics of the Kingdom and man's realistic relationship in it becomes easier to see in light of the Word as years pass. Although it is still hard to be sojurners in this land of death, the path seems less unsure.

My father reads everything he can get his hands in, but I tell him, "once you know what the truth is, (the Word of God and His plan), why look to other processes that we know are prone to error due to not being overseen by the Spirit of God. His reply is that there are kernels of wisdom else where too, but, as I point out, they are so buried in the chaff of human understanding that they are not worth the effort in that you could be reading the Living Word and growing in the wisdom of God instead. As Paul said about knowing Christ and Him crucified and his statement that the Kingdom was not a matter of words but of power....are we not still in that same mindset...or shouldn't we be? I ask this question quite seriously and would like your take. Having spent a number of years in the pursuit that you have, I would figure you have an opinion in this area. I've had other people with similar backgrounds give their own viewpoint. Take a few momnts to compose a thoughtful treatment if you don't mind.

Thanks