Monday, February 21, 2005

Morning Snowfall

Snow this morning: wearing boots, wiping the truck off, stomping feet and brushing flakes. There were very few people on the road in to work - just the huge, shadowy groups of plows moving slowly in menacing caravans. Lynn-nore thought this may be a vacation day for me, but that is not the case. It is a regular workday. (sigh) I really don't want to be here today. I'm more than a quart low on reading time, and would rather take a few hours at Starbucks than care whether this or that database has been queried or this or that report has been finalized. Lord deliver me from the Egypt of meaningless labor!

Kara was up early and in a good mood. She wanted to watch, what else, Thomas the Tank Engine this morning. Last night we thought she might be coming down with my cold, but she was bouncy, clear-eyed and energetic at 6:40am.

Sir Walter Raleigh and Queen Elizabeth are on a plane today for Florida. I hope the snow doesn't delay them too much: they both could use a vacation. Indeed, this week is vacation for schoolkids everywhere - which accounts for a lot of sleepy houses I passed on the way in.

Mom and I were talking a little last night about "depth" in Bible Study. She asked me what I thought "depth" was. I've been thinking about that, and here's my answer. I think "depth" is any time I open the Scripture to hear, and, by the time I close the Scripture, I've learning something about it and read it differenly than I did before. Let me try another definition too: depth in Bible Study derives from seeing a text in its total covenantal context. In other words, I don't just read Luke chapter 3, but I understand its role in the larger sweep of Luke/Acts, and, indeed, against its proper Old Testament context. This is the way you build up a good biblical theology. In my opinion, the feeling of depth and the investigation of solid biblical theology seem to always go together.

No comments: