Friday, February 18, 2005

2 Days & a Dr.'s Note

No matter how much sick time you've accrued, you still need a Dr's note if you are out for 2 days. For me, that's a $30 co-pay to waste a Dr's time telling me I have a cold. It is a soft form of punishment, let's be honest. Business doesn't like people who don't produce as regularly, as manageably as a machine. The thing is, people do get sick for longer than a day at a time. Business hates that. It cries like a baby, and, in its infantile power, punishes.

Don't mistake me, I'm not a Marxist. Yet, I do think that capitalism needs to exist in an atmosphere that is much more critical. I'm a Christian, and where the city is like the man, the man is selfish and lustful for power. Capitalism doesn't elide the "corrupt" of Peter's "this corrupt generation." It organizes it so we can keep an eye on it, and always suggests that all of us can share in the fun, should we so choose. Therefore, we are both pacified and energized. I would rather suffer the hand-slap of a Dr.'s note than stand in line for toilet paper, wouldn't you? That's the genius, because we're trying to decide between a and b, we stop asking whether there could be any other choices.

No comments: