Believe it or not, things are going pretty well at the moment. Our delightful little boy appears to have been returned to us from the powers that be and he is mastering the art of toilet usage quite well. I can report that it has been days since I have had to change a messy diaper and he is quite proud of himself for knowing when he needs to use the bathroom. The beauty in this is that he will be able to attend the class for three-year-olds at his preschool program and that was the goal all along. As for his general attitude, we are getting mostly hugs and kisses and not so much meanness.
Kara is our shining star 3rd Grader. After a pretty rough 2nd Grade year where we were less than thrilled with her attitude and her teacher's attentiveness, this year seems to be getting off to a great start. Our biggest praise is in the area of self-motivation. On Friday evening after a week of practicing her spelling words she asked if the teacher had sent home this next week's words yet, because she wanted to study them before bed. Can I say "WOW!!" Although her teacher had not sent them home, I was able to find another teacher within the school district who had posted them on his class website. Hot off the presses -- next week's spelling words!! Self-motivation will get you everywhere with me! I wrote them out for her on index cards, as I've done each week and she took it upon herself to do one of her weekly spelling assignments. She wrote each of the first ten words five times before laying her notebook aside and falling asleep. Last night she worked on the other ten words, again completely of her own motivation. I'm loving this!!! Even if the grades aren't perfect yet, her attitude is far better than it has ever been before and the grades will eventually come with practice. And, yes, we are praising her considerably for all her efforts!
I had planned to write more, but it appears I am out of writing time for a bit. So, I will end here and leave you all wondering what other exciting happenings are going on in our little lives...
Monday, August 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yay! I am so excited to hear that 3rd grade is going well for Kara! And very cool about the spelling words. Best of luck to her on the upcoming test!
Boring! Bring on the feeding the turtle crayons! We want to hear "We don't write with poo!" Missing valuables, "Did he just eat that?" and what peice of furnature do you want to put over this new stain in the rug. That's what we wanna hear!
Post a Comment