Today I discovered rain in Kara's room. Nope -- not a metaphor this time!! It was literally raining in Kara's room!!! It was about 6:00pm and I had just gotten off the phone with Thom who was about two exits away from being home. I walked downstairs to clean up a few things in Kara's room. As I descended the stairs I heard a strange continual plunking coming from her room. Typically these sorts of sounds come from toys left to fend for themselves as more interesting play prospects beckon from other parts of the house. This is perpetually true with battery operated trains. I frequently find them sadly embanked against walls behind dressers or under the bed. At any rate, this sound was a little different and I very quickly discovered the source. It was the sound of a dripping ceiling plunking dime-sized water pellets onto a plastic surface!
AHHHHHAAAHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! OK -- I don't think I screamed, but I was thinking it!!!!!
I flew up the stairs to determine what bathroom catastrophe might be causing this much water!
CAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Again I don't think I actually said this, but I thought it REALLY LOUD!!!
Upon arriving at the door to my bedroom I could see the water pooling on the carpet outside the master bathroom. After fumbling with the child safety lock (don't ask!) I flung open the bathroom door to something out of a bad movie. Standing water on the floor, water pouring over the edge of the counter and the sink on full blast both plugged and blocked by a water glass!!!!
Did I mention? CAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEBBBBBBBBB!!!!
Bill Cosby once did a routine on parents with one child and how they aren't really parents because they always know who did it. Well, sometimes even parents with two children KNOW who did it. As some of you might know we have been full swing ahead in potty training for the last week. It's going great, except obviously that child safety lock hasn't been in full use lately. As a "big boy" he's had full access to the bathroom and has taken himself to the potty a number of times. Little did I know what mischief he was accomplishing today!
About two minutes after I discover this disaster I see Thom's car in the drive. I quickly threw open the front door to yelp -- HELP, MAJOR DISASTER COME QUICK -- as I paused on the landing before returning to the torrential downpour in my daughter's room.
The story gets kind of boring and long here, but you get the jist of it. We banished Caleb to his room for the evening after showing him what he had done, partly to promote remorse and partly to get him out of the way. He was appropriately sorry, though seemed to have a better grasp on why it was wrong to feed the turtle ALL of the turtle food. That was an offense from earlier today!
We were pleased that we hadn't returned my parents carpet cleaner and we worked hard to make sure our home might someday return to it's normal look and smell.
Now I'm just searching for a nice rain cliche to finish this off... something about rainbows or silver linings or something. I can't think of one, guess you'll have to take a raincheck :-)
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How are those shag carpets working for you now?
Good point! You know we actually don't HAVE shag carpets -- we have standard issue creamish-beigish-show-every-drop-of-anything carpets.
So, at least I don't have a disgusting mildew-ridden brown shag in Kara's room.
Miss you guys, terribly. Been thinking about you all week.
Post a Comment