We're homeowners! We closed on Friday morning and had the keys before noon. And, seriously, we are totally happy, content and at peace about the whole thing. Thank you to everyone who has been praying for us during this long, patient move in the direction of home-ownership. I've often heard people speak of buyers-remorse, and honestly, we haven't felt anything like that at all. I suppose it's still possible, but given all of the houses we looked at before seeing this one and everything about our response to this house, it really turned out to be a pretty easy decision. When Thom and I first started discussing the notion of buying a house seriously, we reflected on one thing that has been true throughout our marriage. We make major purchasing decisions really well together. We have bought a variety of pieces of furniture and electronics and every manner of home decorating notion and we have never been displeased or felt that the decisions was one-sided, so, we concluded that our home-buying should be no different. Now, back in September when we considered settling for an older home that needed a number of fixes, that was gut-wrenching and neither of us felt any peace about it until we both decided it was NOT the right house for us. Now, here we are with a beautiful home that we both love and we're both fabulously comfortable about the whole thing.
A few tidbits....
The house sits on a corner, so the driveway has a very open feel to it, I think. Although the house faces a side-street, it is beside a fairly busy entry street into our subdivision and I would want Caleb out of my sight in the front yard.
We painted Kara's room this weekend -- well, actually Kara and I painted her room. We chose a bright Spring green. Her room doesn't get much direct sunlight except in the early afternoon and this brightened up the space quite nicely. Her new bedroom furniture will be white and her bedding includes both white, green and pink. It is very pretty and I'm quite excited about seeing the finished product. Tomorrow painting begins on our bedroom. My parents offered this to us as our housewarming gift. Since our bedroom has cathedral ceilings, it's best to have that professionally done, rather than to pay in the with me stuck in bed for a week for pulling out my back.
Thom and I spent a good portion of last weekend looking at paint strips and teasing one-another about how tremondously grown-up and mundane we sounded. We can both remember the days of not understanding why anyone would spend money on matching furniture when there are starving, homeless people in the world. Well, we now have an answer -- a comfortable room certainly makes extending hospitality a lot more fun! And we are definitely looking forward to having people over in our new home.
We're keeping with the sports theme in Caleb's room and looking forward to seeing that take shape. We just figure it's easier to go with it, than to try to get that border down. I found some cute sports things at Target yesterday and Auntie Kara's getting a new valance to match Caleb's room. Mostly, Caleb is just happy to be jumping around in a big empty room.... and I do mean jumping!
Well, that's the housing scoop from us. In other news, Thom and I are both miserably sick and neither of us would feel up to speaking as many words as I've just typed. I took some kind of killer cold-medicine last night that literally knocked me out for about 15 hours. This morning I could think, but I couldn't speak or really move. Then around 1:30 this afternoon I started to feel the medicine begin to let go of me. So, warning -- don't take Chlorotrimeton alone.
More later.... L.
Sunday, March 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congrats guys!
Post a Comment