Sunday, March 28, 2010

Quiet dog

We have a dog. I walk the dog. There. There's the setup. Across the street is a soggy slab of mossy grass—weeds mostly—slanting up or down into old-growth thatch. The dog, Happy, gets the news and weather from nosing across its length and breadth, and a bit of exercise hauling me, his human behind. I suspect he picks his deposits randomly so as not to give out any doggy secrets. Today's favorite stump is tomorrow's cast-behind. Lately it has been a miserable and muddy mess. I wear mowing shoes. Who cares what you step in. I catch myself whistling or humming whatever tunes the inner radio desires. At night, off in the distant, there are lights. Beneath them, men and women work shifts at a paper mill. I count off the hours sometimes, “Happy, they have three hours to go.” It has been over twenty years since I worked shifts, but you don't forget the weight of those hours. Happy stops. I stop and count my blessings. At night it is very quiet. Most of the houses around are dark, though a few lights here and there tell of hours still winding down and putting the day to bed. I try and turn off the radio and just be the quiet. To feel the wind and hear the slight night sounds and the whuffle of the dog and just be.

No comments: