Monday, July 21, 2008

Timeless Words

There are moment in conversations we remember for years and years to come. I had one of those moments yesterday. But the story doesn't really start there.

It might start 27 years ago when my brother was born. Or maybe it started about four years ago when a male friend of mine asked how old I was. After nearly dying from embarrassment, and considering the words "Smart enough to sit alone, old enough to know better." a favorite quote of my grandmother's, I opted for the honest truth. "31, I'll be 32 in July." Upon further questioning my friend ultimately answered that he was curious because I was so "young and fun and all." Yep, at the ripe old age of 31, nearly 32, it was some sort of miracle, that I, the mother of a then four-year-old could be considered "young and fun and all." I'm not likely to forget these words anytime soon, but a conversation yesterday sort of served as some kind of karmic restitution for my friend's words.

I was sitting on a patio chair in my brother's back yard, a sort of English garden off the back door of his enormous house when his neighbor stopped by. It was my sister-in-law's birthday and he was there to visit and wish her well. This gentleman is significantly older than my brother and sister-in-law who are now 27 and 26 respectively and they are good friends within the neighborhood. So, you can imagine my surprise when he asked the question, from clear across the table, of birth-order between my brother and I having PRESUMED than John was older!

Ahh!! It was a glorious moment!

Grinning I replied, "Do you really think John is older? Do you know how old John is?" I was clearly assuming the man thought more of John's receding hairline than of his birth certificate. Nope. He knew exactly how old John was! OK- then. Now I'm in the "You're kidding right?" Nope. He genuinely thought I was younger than my brother!!! I politely said. "No, I'm the older sister. In fact, I'm nine years older." He nearly jumped out of his chair! He was shocked! He made a nice comment about my skin and the conversation moved on.

I remember when Thom proposed and when they handed me my babies. Those were the best moments of my life. Yesterday's comment about my age may very well be my next favorite moment!

2 comments:

Marc said...

wow. that male friend who asked how old you were - what an insensative jerk! I hope you aren't still friends with him!

Anonymous said...

I know! The nerve of some people! ;-)