From the great land of make-believe known only in childhood Kara came to me this afternoon and announced - "Caleb and I are going to solve a mystery!" I said, "Ok sweetie, have fun." She returned in a few moments with a pink feather boa drapped around her and a few odds and ends in her arms and the words "Mama, just call us "Spider Trappers on the Loose!" She went into Caleb's room - where they often play together because all of the toys there are safe for Caleb and she called out - "Mama come and see, us." Obliging, I stepped into the doorway to discover my son walking in circles in the middle of his room wearing an old brown hat and a carrying binoculars -- evidently these were the uniforms of Spider Trappers. If you've seen or read "The Rescuers" -- this was Bianca and Bernard in human form in Caleb's room. I returned the living room and enjoyed the pleasant sounds of make-believe. After a few moments I heard "Oh no, Go-Go's in trouble, we have to save him." This, of course, was not the real Go-Go, but the stuffed animal turtle from Grandma that lives in Caleb's room -- what good is make-believe if the family pet doesn't get involved somehow?! Clearly, Go-Go was in trouble -- stuck beneath Caleb's bed and requiring a Spider Trapper to save him. Soon after a few clues to the mystery were revealed-- a piece of string and a feather. Ah-ha! Then someone got thirsty and the phone rang and the game was over, only to be revisited another day.
Yet another answer to the question : if you have a kid, why have another kid? Make believe is better with a younger sibling to follow instructions!
Friday, July 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thank you for repeatedly answering my question. Just one thought on that one: Because Kara has a younger sibling, you were not included in the play time. Whadaya think-o-that?
More time to blog :-)
No seriously, Caleb makes a much better playmate than I do. They work things out together as only kids, especially siblings can... have I told you of the occassions I keep finding him dressed up in her dress-up clothes! He's way more fun than I am. Plus, he fits in all the playhouse-fort contraptions that Kara comes up with!
Looking forward to seeing how Sir Isaac holds up with my two!
Two makes sense -- now three -- there's the question!!
Post a Comment