Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Behold, the Caleb of myth and legend

It finally happened. This morning I opened his door to find him standing in the middle of his Little People toys. He was holding something black between his fingers. "What do you have there sweet boy?" I asked him. My glasses have had some serious problems recently. A few weeks ago, Kara asked if she could tighten the little screws that hold it together and, for some "Dad" reason, I said yes. We fished the tiny screwdriver from my toolbox and, after a quick refresher on the "righty-tighty" rule, I set her loose. Thing is, she didn't quite get the rule. Next thing I know, my glasses are in pieces. And, further than that, somehow I lost one of the earpieces. Think of a three-legged stool, or a three-legged cat. That's what my glasses look like now. I kind of stick-slash-balance them on my nose when I'm driving, and otherwise they live in my pocket. Anyway, I certainly didn't have them on this morning when I was squinting to see what Caleb had pinched between his fingers.

It was a spider.

I smacked it down from his hands--he cried, of course, so I picked him up to console him and give him kisses. Then I fished the carcass, its legs folded in on itself, from the carpet and put it in the toilet.

You may remember that Hercules also had a tangle with a nasty when he was a baby. Several snakes--it could have been one, but I think it was several, slithered into the crib of the young hero during the night. He grabbed the snakes and killed them. So I guess that's it, then, my son is a mythical hero. Aaaaawwww.

No comments: