Listening this afternoon to the BBC4's The Daily Service (I'm quite partial to Anglican services in streaming audio) it occurs to me that apologies are in order. I am sorry for the absolute lack of anything here for long periods of time. Blogging may seem like something you do in your pajamas with coffee, but it actually take a lot of work--and time. And I heard someone say today, "Blogging is arrogant. Like everyone wants to hear what you think." Well, actually, I want to hear what my friends think far more than I care what, say, Tom Cruise or Channel 4 news thinks. My father-in-law is always fond of saying, "Soldiers don't fight because of the cause. They fight because of their buddy. They fight because they don't want to let their buddy down. They fight to defend those next to them." Exactly.
As you can see, L. and I have begun experimenting with some streaming video. And, you can also see that Caleb can walk on walls. It is a little something he picked up over the holiday season. Actually, we took some video of him carting around his forty-eight hour heart monitor. He didn't even seem to notice it. Until, of course, we took if off of him. When we lifted his shirt up to reveal all those sensors stuck to his chest, his expression was the picture of stunned. We have some photos; perhaps L. will post them soon.
Two kids keep us very, very busy. Looking around, I think this is one of the busiest times of life, raising kids. There are quiet moments too. Last night, near midnight, Caleb woke up for one reason or another. He was standing up against the side of his crib, holding on, and jumping up and down. We went in to check on him, fearing he'd be cold, and he wasn't as much cold as lonely. I picked him up and, handing him a sippy cup, put him on my lap. I turned on the TV--we like to watch those educational shows about engineering and big machines--and he settled his head against my shoulder, and we just sat together for a good fifteeen minutes. I've had months go by which couldn't boast that much intense satisfaction.
Thursday, January 11, 2007
sweet arrogance
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment