Tomorrow is Kara's first day of 1st Grade. Everything we know how to do to prepare is in place, now we just have to pray it all goes well. Her teacher seems great ~ very nice, very patient, very organized, very fun. She has a room full of books and words and games and colors and shapes with their matching words. Kara is grasping reading more and more every day and I can only imagine what she will be like when she begins to actual enjoy the process of reading! Until then, she requests that Mrs. Right -- ( not her real name but phonetically close enough :-) - please just give her more "adding and taking-away to work on - because that's what I like" she says. So, for now she loves math and still claims she would prefer going to a school for coloring than a school for reading. There's no explaining her that even at coloring school (art school) you still have to read!
Meanwhile, Kara has fresh clothes and a positive outlook. She has met her teacher and likes her and she's met two of her classmates -- a shy, wispy little girl named Samantha and a rather tall, blunt little boy named Jonathan. Of her class of approximately 20 -- there are six girls including Kara and Samantha. We're thinking this will work in her favor for two reasons. There are enough girls to form multiple clicks and Kara has always gotten along pretty well with boys her age.
So, our prayer is this: That Kara has a happy first day of school. That she is happy in her classroom. That she makes friends on the first day. That she obeys the five primary rules of the school. That she speaks up and does not act out or act shy. That she speaks loudly enough for the teacher to here her when called upon, but not so loudly to her neighbors that the teacher hears her any other time!
Having met Mrs. Right last week, we really feel this is a good match for Kara. Our prayer tonight is that tomorrow shows us we were right.
School starts at 8:45 and ends at 3:45pm.
I know what Kara will be doing most of the day -- as for me, I'm guessing I'll spend most of my time wondering how she's doing and eagerly waiting for pick-up time in the afternoon. For anyone who is curious, Kara will NOT be riding the school bus. We live close enough for me to do drop off and pick up and I've always appreciated those few minutes in the car together either way. Maybe in a couple of years we'll do the school bus, we'll see.
Well, time for bed for my not-so-little one.... I've always heard this day was hard for moms, I had no idea...
Sunday, August 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment