Monday, July 17, 2006

mid-summer flats

I started this post in the hopes of proving that we are knee-deep in the mid-summer flats. As it is, I'm so flat I didn't even finish what I started. But here's in the meantime:

L. and I have become addicts of the Fox TV show House. The writing is excellent, and the acting high caliber--the cast is well-seasoned both on the stage and in film. Hugh Laurie plays Dr. Gregory House, who is to infectious diseases like Immanuel Kant is to epistemology. He's done quite a lot on the Brit side of things, but I, at least, was aware of him from his exceedingly hilarious portrayal of Mr. Palmer in Sense and Sensibility (1995). House has given us something to think about during these hot days of mid-summer, when it is too hot (and we're too broke) to go out, and the kids push it until 8:30 before finally nodding off (Last night, for example, Kara cries out, "I can't get to sleep! What can I do?" to which Lynn-nore replies, "Try not yelling 'I can't get to sleep!'.") Even Caleb has developed the habit of crying for no real reason for a good half-hour after he's put to bed! I can only believe they have caught wind of the truth that they represent "the latest generation"--a waning superiority complex only waxed against the late-night howls of their own future progeny.

L. and Kara are going out this evening to hunt for Caleb's birthday present. (Maybe I'll get some reading done.) Kara is such a giving personality. She loves to share and give gifts. She is always drawing things for people. I like that about her.

Thanks to Lynn-nore's iron constitution, Kara's reading is improving. I say thanks to Lynn-nore because, just last week, she instituted a "no read, no play" policy regarding dress ups. Thus, one book a day must be accomplished before all else. It is an excellent policy. Kara's reading should blossom. Even after a few days it is already showing improvement with confidence gained. A bit of Mommie genius. Yes, I think childbirth must begin the accretion of a serum known as "Mommie genius" somewhere in the brain which accumulates throughout life. Ah, do I see a pun: genus-genius? Does that work?

I was so thrilled on Saturday last to have picked up two copies of Horkheimer's works (Frankfurt School) for one dollar each! That and a book of essays about the hermeneutical turn for another five used up a scant fraction of accumulated birthday money, and will keep me bemused for months to come (if my reading progress continues at its current snail's pace.) "Hey, who wants to ditch reading again and go for a swim?"

No comments: