Thursday, June 29, 2006

thinking of Kara

Kara's second visit with the psycho-educationalist person ended on an amazingly positive note yesterday. For some reason, Kara decided to be herself during their session. It went an hour and a half, during which time she answered questions, matched patterns with blocks, drew shapes, matched like items and things like that. When it was done, the doctor emerged praising Kara for her high intelligence, for her poise, and for the appropriateness and clarity of her speech. On one hand, we were pleased--what parent doesn't love things like that said about their child. On the other hand, we still have the three Kara's: Kara the acutely shy; Kara the jump-about; and the Kara he described, the one we see least. That Kara only comes out at special times. At night, just before bed; first thing in the morning; riding in the car; relaxing in her bath; being the big-sister to her baby brother.

As we approach baptism day, opinions are flying and theological conversations abound. I'm thankful that both kids, as far as I know, have no idea that they are plowing ground which, at least in terms of my family, is a complete novelty. Look I get that many of you--beloved friends and family--even strongly disagree. And though I could employ historical and theological arguments, let me speak to you, instead, as a parent, or more important, as a Christian.

I want Christ for my children, and my children for Christ. Thus, I will not knowingly deny them any benefit of his that they may properly afford, be it baptism or the elements themselves. I see no reason for denial: Our knowledge of doctrine should not deny us participation in the church: the novice is welcome along with the expert (see James 2:1-7). A lifetime doesn't exhaust the contextual depths of the seder meal (the covenantal background of our eucharist) and the same goes for baptism. Grown adults can be as stupid as pagans when it comes to the most basic facts of their confession. Theology tells us plainly: he is the beginning and the end. The new life is ours by invitation, begun and consummated in us by the Spirit's re-creating power ex nihilo. Which exemplifies the greater grace: informed choice or submissive reception? So then if I, a grown man, know how little I add (and more often subtract) to the sum of my own sanctification, why should I expect something else of my children? (see Gal. 2:15-16; 3:3)

Finally, I am challenged to find an explanation of the the Matthew 19:13-15 pericope that allows it to be Scripture instead of resigning it to the sweet candy coating of religious sentimentalism. I challenge you who disagree with this very task. And I ask you also to recall our common purpose: the pursuit of Christ. As we approach baptism day, let us separate our opinion from what is important, and celebrate in the same Spirit a common confession: He was born. He died. He rose again. He reigns.

No comments: