L. called me at work on Monday of this week out of breath and stressed. “I killed a beast!” she spat. “A giant spider I found in Caleb’s room near his closet.” The corpse still available for viewing when I arrived at the apartment, I can confirm it was a beast. “It was this long!” she said, holding first and thumb apart some two inches. “Big enough to roast,” I replied in jest. What three pieces were left after scraping it from the carpet—L. had beaten it to death with a mop—went legs-and-fangs into the loo. My gosh what a monster! Not only, but in its death-dash, the creature had run behind a bookshelf, a shelf that L moved under adrenaline two feet from the wall while it was still full of books. Don’t mess with mommy!
Since then, “The Beast” has occupied quite a good deal of our minds. Both L and I are double-vigilant, our eyes sweep constantly across corners, walls and windows, ceilings and doors. L talks about it the way men tell hunting stories over tribal fires. It haunts us like a ghost. We expect to see it fleeing akimbo across the carper floor every time we go into that room. Perhaps the tips of its legs caress our feet in the dark. I woke up this morning smashing a giant, black tarantula in my dreams, a brass lampstand coming down down on its rubbery, twisted back. (And people wonder why I’m arachnophobic.) What are you, you filth? Not an insect. Not a lizard or mammal or bird. An eating thing, a creeping thing, sucking at marrow-joints in the dark. A shadow; chaos; dissolution; absolute death; the disfigured shape; demonic madness; deep black water; a void; the alien; sadism; blindness; the horrible.
Thursday, March 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I laughed out loud at this post for several minutes. Not only are your descriptions right on the money (and enviably colorful!), I'm an arachnophobe too and can sympathize.
Good stuff, Thom. I love to hear Daddys recounting the epics of the family den. Very well done.
Post a Comment